Friday, June 22, 2012

Day 46: 118.46km

June 21, 2012

Sudbury - North Bay

Today was my first day without Dad again. I missed him all day! And man were my bags ever heavy! I'm not used to them again!!!

Today started off hot. I got a little burnt from the sun. I biked by this elementary school and this group of young girls were waving and cheering me on, they were so cute.

I pulled into the Tim Horton's in Sturgeon Falls and sat and read for a little bit to get away from the heat. It was supposed to rain a little bit so I wanted to wait for the cooling effect of the rain. 80% of the people in Sturgeon falls consider french their first language, and I was greeted in French at Tim Hortons. It was crazy! First time in the trip that I heard French. Must mean I'm getting close to Quebec!

A couple things I just wanted to mention were:
1) the horse flies here are ridiculous. I know I have said this many times before, and the bugs are actually getting better as I go on, but the flies that are big and fast enough to keep up to you are so stupid. I'm going at a pretty constant pace, and these flies have a billion eye balls, yet they keep flying into me! They don't really sit and bite too much, they just miss judge and hit my face or arms! It is so annoying! And gross because with all the road kill on this highway, I know where they had been.
2) I feel like I have missed a lot of things in this world. I watch tv now and I don't recognize some of the stars, or someone will text me about a movie and I will have no idea because I didn't know it had even come out, or when did the Stanley cup end? Crazy! I feel out of the loop. It feels good on some level though.
3) there are signs everywhere that say "Ontario". That's it. YES! I KNOW I'M STILL IN ONTARIO! Stop rubbing it in! How much money has been wasted in this province on pointless signs when the roads aren't even paved well!?!? The shoulders are so terrible but yet you have the extra money to put a sign that says Ontario every kilometer!? Crazy people.

As i was in Tim hortons, the cloud I had been waiting for pulled in and completely cooled the temperature down with rain. It was so nice! I didn't even put a rain jacket on, it had been so hot that I welcomed the rain. I got soaked to the bone! Also, Tonight I got COMPLETELY spoiled. Angie Musi got me a hotel room as a late birthday gift!!!!! I got to stay at the Hampton!!! It was sooo nice!!! I walked in absolutely sopping wet from the downpour but i had the biggest smile on my face! I made dinner in the room, and sat and watched The Big Bang Theory while I ate dinner and my snacks. So perfect!! Then I got a call from the two receptionists downstairs who were interested in my trip. They had something for me. They came up to the room and brought me a care package!!! Full of little goodies for the trip!! It was so nice of them!!! 
 
                                                            (no one's breaking in tonight!)
I am so happy I got to stay a night at the Hampton in North Bay!!! Beautiful!! Thank you again Angie Musi! It was a perfect night!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kieren! You made me laugh today... about those stupid flies that kept running into you. I've been there with that experience so I laughed out loud when I read that one. The most satisfying thing is when horse flies circle around and around your head and you get to know their pattern and if you can get the timing right, you nail them with your hand or a branch with leaves on it. Such sweet revenge. Ha!
    Hope you're having a good day!

    ReplyDelete