Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 28: 197.07 km

June 3, 2012

Oak Lake - Portage La Prairie

I'll keep today's blog entry nice and short because I am exhausted!!! HELL YES!!! really could explain it all, but I'll put a little more into it then that.

This morning I took off at 7:30 am, and biked 50km for a well deserved, delicious breakfast at Cathy (my dads cousin) and David's house in Brandon. After possibly the most perfect pancakes ever (I ate 9) I took off again.
At Cathy, David, and Callum's for breakfast
and their leashed cat
I was really nervous all day that I would get a flat. I fill my tires with CO2 cartridges and I only had half of one left! That's not enough for one full tire!! My pump is out of commission at the moment so that was all the air I had.
 This was the beginning of one rough ride. It went from brand new pavement (amazing) to gravel.

And, of course 60 km out of portage I have a flat. This time, it was BOB himself that was flat. (BOB is my trailer.) And that's his actual name, I didn't make it up. If I would have made it up, it would have been much more creative, like Steve 2... Anyway, I had no idea what to do, so I called dad. Together chatting on the phone we patched the tire (there's no spare tubes for BOB) and we hoped to pump him up enough to get us there. How lucky was it that BOB had a super slow leak and that he was only half deflated!? Because it perfectly used up the air canister and filler him up nicely. Now I just hope I don't get a flat tomorrow. Then I'll have to thumb a ride in!

Today was super hot, and windy. They wind was definitely in my favor (Hence the 197 km!!!). I have the worst burn on my back from today. And I applied so much spray sunscreen! Just it seems that I did it in the same spots because I have a very bright red and brown polka dotted back at the moment.

Today's lunch was in Sidney, Manitoba. There were 3 stores in that town, all of which were closed. But there was a pop machine out front and that was good enough for me! And I got two cokes for the price of one!!!!! I was so happy!!!! But I went lunch-less and only had sharpies as a snack.

Finally, at 7:45pm I pulled into Portage. I was so happy to be able to eat at Boston pizza!!!! I ate potato skins as well as jambalaya pasta! I was so hungry! Now I am at Miller's campground, a beautiful campground 10km east of Portage.
 

During my shower I locked my tent, and then lost the tiny keys. Who gets locked out of a tent!? I felt like an idiot breaking into my own tent. There goes my security system!!! That's ok maybe I'll find new and better mini locks in Winnipeg tomorrow!!
 

7 comments:

  1. 197 km - holy crap Kieren you are a machine! Keep the posts up - they make me laugh! Hope BOB was able to get a new tire in Brandon.

    Keep up the great work!

    Carlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kieren,
    I'm glad you are at least stopping to snap some pictures along the way! your are doing great! I can not believe your endurance! I enjoy reading your posts & looking at your pictures. Keep looking a head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kin! I agree with Carlene...but I would say a "bullet" like the guys I was riding the ski lift said about you when they saw you snowboarding down Kimberley! That's my niece, I said, and they said, "the bullet that just went by"!!!!! Just checked into flights to Kenora to see if I could at least see you on your DAY, but the flights are like 7 hours long and $1500! Oh well maybe we can skype with you tomorrow, or do facetime! No matter what we will be celebrating your life with you in spirit! You are loved, precious and honored not only to us but One even greater who is looking out for you along the way!Keep up the great pace and also being safe! With much love, prayers and blessings Anji Masi

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops should have capitalized YOUR not day! LOL! Too quick on the hjtting the "publish" button!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant "hitting" hahahahahahhahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW KIEREN! Go girl go....almost 200 km in a day, you are making it look easy. Keep it up! Love the pics along the way! We look forward to your blog everyday... auntie angie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete