Thursday, June 7, 2012

Day 32: 69.62 km

June 7, 2012

Falcon Lake- Kenora, Ontario

This morning was terrifying. I woke up, made breakfast, and looked over randomly at the door to my room. Someone had tried to get in last night. Someone with a key. I had double checked the lock on the door last night, and had latched the doors (there was two one leading to the parking lot and one to the hallway) closed. In order to latch the doors closed they had to be fully closed or the latch doesn't fit over the knob. Yet sometime while I was sleeping someone who had a key had unlocked the hallway door and opened it the 2 inches that it could go before the latch stopped it. I took a picture and left so fast. Not thrilled.
Note to women traveling alone, don't go to the falcon lake hotel.

The rest of the day was incredible!!! Despite being creepy, falcon lake was beautiful!
 

Then entering Ontario got really hilly. It wasn't what I was expecting at all!! It's like Kimberley here, or P.A national park, and it has SO many lakes it's incredible!!!!! It's so amazing I love it!!
 

When I was coming into Ontario Steve had to honk at a deer to scare it off the road. The deer was so red I've never seen a deer like that before. Maybe my sunglasses made it redder, but it was interesting to see a new type of deer!
 
Good bye Manitoba, Hello Ontario!

As I was biking I met up with another bike tourist going from Vancouver to St. Johns! (I think._ There was quite a language barrier. His name was Taeo something or another and he was a Buddhist monk from Korea!!!
We tried to make conversation but neither of us knew what was going on. I ended up leaving, he was a little slower, and hoping he would come to my campsite so I could use my iPad to try to communicate with him. But he hasn't shown up here yet.

One thing I must mention about the trip in general is the peebottles. Yes. Water, etc, bottles filled with pee. I guess truck drivers don't always stop. Every time I pass one I think of apple juice and then I get really grossed out when I remember what it actually is. It's turning me off of apple juice.
Ice cream break

I got into Kenora at around 1:30pm local time. This town is incredibly beautiful.
I walked around downtown all day and then ate dinner at Haps on the lake-front. It is so hot here, and downtown was stunning. Its so impressive! I have fallen in love with this city!!!
 
The campground is stunning as well. My campsite has a lake view and the showers are awesome and very personal! I listened to my music and charged my phone as I showered! It's one giant shower/ washroom for one person while you shower! Brilliant! Now, I am sitting outside the main building close to the beach, blogging and reading in the sun, as I try to even out my tan. My back is black and my feet and chest are white!!!!
Such an awesome day after such a terrible day yesterday!!! Maybe I should change my birthday to the 7th!! I'll be sad to leave tomorrow!

Also I really want to thank Leah and my mom. My mom made that poem off of Dr. Suess's "Oh the places youll go" and Leah not only jazzed that up for my bday, but she has been blogging for me literally every day except today! She gathers my pictures off of Facebook and posts all of my posts! Not to mention how amazing the whole blog looks now because of her!! Thank you so much to both of you, you are incredible and I am so lucky and blessed to have you two in my life!!!

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy to be blogging for you Kieren! It's been so fun following your journey and am so proud of how far you've already come! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kieren,
    Maybe you could make a triangular wedge out of wood that you could slide it under your door. One with a rubber bottom to it - so it won't just slide along the floor but snag it when pressure is applied to the door. Something light and compact so it doesn't use up much room in your trailer. Just a thought, but I don't know if it would really work for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) and auntie Betty! Dad brought wedges!!

    ReplyDelete