Thursday, June 7, 2012

Day 31: 91.05 km

June 6, 2012

Richer- Falcon Lake

Today was pretty terrible, I must admit. I woke up and had a pleasant surprise. A man I had met the night before, Walter, had left me a note at my camp site saying that I was welcome to come over for coffee in the morning, so I packed up and went and found his campsite. 
People live in the campground, and he was staying at the place while he fixed it up. We had a lovely chat, then I was on my way.

Today it was 32 degrees, I had a pretty decent head wind, there was no shoulder, and the flies were terrible. I should not write the words that I would use to describe these flies, for Nuni, and really everyone's sake. They made the day terrible. They were constantly swarming me, for the whole 6 hour ride they were all flying circles around my face and head. And these are not the simple "black flies" I had read about. Heck no. They were gigantic 1 inch by .5 inch horse flies that I could not get away from. Everyone said that if your on your bike they can't keep up to you, but no matter how fast I went they continued to circle my head. They would swoop in and sometimes hit my face, and would fly right beside me. I lost my mind. I first thought the mountains were bad, then the winds were worse, now giant flies that will eat me and winds!? No to mention the hills coming in Ontario?! Really!? I have had a few breakdowns on this trip, but this was the worst. I honestly felt like quitting. Unless you have experienced these flies, I don't think you have any idea. People in BC are absolutely spoiled with no bugs, and in cities they are nothing. But when your biking on the highway, next to sloughs, surrounded by lakes, and your the only thing for kilometers that is moving slow enough to annoy the crap out of you, your going to get bombarded with these flies. It was disgusting, I was so pissed off.

On top of that I was extremely lonely today. Maybe it was because I was spoiled in Winnipeg and Saskatoon by being with people I knew (even if I didn't know them very well) and now being alone is really sinking in. But doing this ride solo is really tough. I am a social person and enjoy talking to people. When my phone rings I get so excited to just talk to someone! I don't care if its a telemarketer, hearing something other than my music and my thoughts is relieving. So today I really struggled with that.

I really wanted to get to Ontario today, but it looks like I'll be crossing that boarder tomorrow morning. This afternoon I stopped in Prawda, had a giant cup of icecream and read my book. Then I got soup because the icecream and air conditioning made me cold. I spent an hour there, and started falling asleep, so I snoozed in the cafe. Then I bought a fly swatter and kept on going. Yes, I was the crazy person on highway 1 trying to swat the flies with a pink fly swatter as I biked. It was pretty stupid, and dangerous, but it was a great way to take out my anger on flies. I definitely have to work on my hand-eye coordination.
 
I pulled into Falcon Lake at around 4:30pm and slowly found my way to the hotel. I was so frustrated by this point I can't even explain it. I was so done. My mom had spoiled me and called the hotel in Falcon lake and told them what I was doing. Boes, the manager at the hotel, gave me their "couples room" with the jacuzzi  tub for $50! (regular $150!!) because he thought I would benefit from the jacuzzi tub. 
He also bought me my dinner, and some wine! We chatted and then I went off to my room to have a good soak with my Pepsi, strawberries, kit kat, and book. 

Today ended well, but I'm not looking forward to getting on that bike with those bugs tomorrow. Today was really rough mentally. I'm surprised at myself that I have not quit yet. But, in the words of Garrett, "you would never experience a good day if you didn't have the bad ones to make them feel like good days". Even though I feel like every province just keeps getting worse, I just have to keep my short term goals. Even if eastern Ontario is going to suck, in the west I have so many loved ones I get to see, and then comes the fun part in the Maritimes!!! So I'll keep trekking on, even though I don't want to, and maybe have an easier day tomorrow just to get my spirits back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment