Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day 45: 152.22 km

June 20, 2012

Blind River - Sudbury

Today was so hot! It was 35 degrees by noon! Dad did his morning stint and then we carried on. In Spanish we decided to have lunch; we ate at the Dragonfly. Someone had a serious obsession with dragon flies. I counted 24 on one wall, over 36 on the two walls that I could see! Crazy.
With the heat came the flies. They were bad again today, but not unbearable. We took breaks about every 20-25 km, and then pulled into Carol's campground at around 7:30pm. It is such a beautiful campground! One of the best I have been to on this trip (they have flushable toilets and clean washrooms)! What!? So awesome! They also let us stay for free to sponsor my bike trip! Such a gem on this trip. On the way into Carols campground, still with 15 km to go, we saw a sign that said no bikes. The highway color was also blue, which is the same color as 417 outside of Ottawa. I've heard horror stories of people getting fines on highway 417 and I didn't want that to happen, so we put the bike on the truck. Low and behold as we are exiting for the campground we see bikers. But that's ok, I'll be cutting it close with my budget as it is I don't need a $200 ticket!

I've been hearing that Kimberley, where I live, is cold and rainy right now and I am SO jealous. Riding in the rain is cooling and pleasant compared to 35 degree, 11 uv, bug filled days! But then of course when it's cold we want it warm, and vise versa so I am happy with what the day gave me and the availability of air conditioning!

Tomorrow morning dad leaves for a 27 hour drive back to Saskatoon and I'm so sad to see him go. He is an incredible father and I am so happy that he was here for this stint. Even though his job was so boring, he still stayed behind me 100%! He made me want to continue on! I love him so much and am so happy I had him with me. And don't worry, I'll total his kilometers at the end of the province. It was perfect, and a fathers day for the books.

I try to be as honest as possible on this blog because when I contacted people to ask questions about the trip I got a lot of replies saying "oh it was fantastic!" or " you'll love it!". Ugh... No. This trip is not all rainbows and butterflies. Well actually there is a lot of butterflies, but it's hard work. There are days that all I want to do is quit, but then there are days where it is fantastic! Those are the days I remember. It is already hard to remember BC and the beginning of the trip, but I do remember the good days and that is what counts. Matt decided to end his trip short today. He plans to take his time next year in the Maritimes. Which makes more sense than what I'm doing! But honestly that is what this province does to you! It is a ridiculously hard, long province to bike! If you want to learn about yourself, just biking Ontario is the way to do it.

I wanted to say a quick couple of thank you's before my allergy medication sets in and I pass out. One, for everyone who is commenting and emailing me about my blog. It is amazing the support I have, and I don't really get the chance to comment back, but every comment means the world to me and I have every notification stating what people have commented saved on my phone for those tough days. Two, is to everyone who reads my blog, keeps track via The Drive and Bee 104 radio in Cranbrook, and every single supporter and donator. Thank you for keeping me going on those bad days so I get to experience the good!

PS: flights home are booked!!!! Exactly one month from today I will be arriving in Cranbrook, ready for my "welcome home party"... July feat 2012. YAY!

2 comments:

  1. Kieren:

    I told you Ontario is a BIG province. Lots of hills and the HEAT. Have you found the black flies yet? OH! Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned them.
    Your work for greater awareness of prostate cancer comes to the fore this week as our Cranbrook support group has just lost another member. Bim Brehm passed away this week from prostate cancer and we all remember the goal to get more men to be aware of their health and to get checked to find this killer disease in time.

    And you and your theme have introduced me to the poetry of A.E. Housman. His number 27 from the Shropshire Lad publication begins:
    'Is my team ploughing,
    That I was used to drive
    And hear the harness jingle
    When I was man alive?'

    Ay, the horses trample,
    The harness jingles now;
    No change though you lie under
    The land you used to plough.

    Keep on peddling, Kieren. You are doing great things for us.

    Kevin Higgins
    PCCN-Cranbrook

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear that. Much love to his family and friends at this time. I hope all is well with you and I am loving the A E Adams quotes!!!!

    ReplyDelete