Monday, June 11, 2012

Day 35: 89.8 km

June 10, 2012

Ignace - Savanne River Resort (outside Upsala)

Today was yet another butt kicking, I-want-to-quit day. I woke up at 5:30am to thunder. I was literally thinking "you know what, I'm up, I might as well quickly pack up before it rains..." When it started to pour. By pour, I mean it was absolutely dumping rain. It was raining so hard that the bottom 8 inches of my tent was covered in mud from it splashing up when it hit the ground. I thought maybe I'd wait and see when the rain stopped, but at 7am I thought I should brave it and unpack. Next thing I know I roll over and it wasn't raining anymore and it was 8:45am!!!! I had fallen back asleep! I must have really needed it because I am still not feeling very well at all! I had my first asthma attack last night. Which is incredible that I have not had one yet, but it was strange to have one when I wasn't cycling. Just must be my cold causing everything to act up.

It was a late start after everything in Ignace. After that, everything just took a turn for the worst. My asthma/plugged nose was acting up, the wind was a 20-30 km head wind, the bugs were an unstoppable menace, and the shoulders were only a foot wide.
A few years back when I was working at Mt. Kidd Rv Park, we had heard of 6 bikers being severely hurt (or killed, or some killed and some hurt, I cant quite remember) because a camper had forgotten to put up the steps of his Rv and he plowed through all 6. That has been a nightmare for me this whole trip. Today, it almost came true. I had my head down focusing on each peddle up a hill with the wind in my face when I noticed something whizz by my feet when a vehicle passed. I looked up, and driving away was an Rv with its stairs down. The stairs must have been a foot or two from my peddle for me to have noticed it with my head down! I was freaked out after that. If there had been on coming traffic and the Rv couldn't have moved over a bit like it did, I would probably not be posting today. It's incredible to think that something so simple could destroy lives, and that literally any moment could be your last.

I pulled into English River, a little dot on the map the size of Ignace, looking forward to any indoor place, let it be a gas station, restaurant (which was preferred), or outhouse, to get away from the flies. I was starving, even though I had eaten well, I couldn't wait for lunch! When I pulled in I was terribly disappointed. English River is a town that consists of two motels. One had a restaurant, and one had a kitchen. Of course, because every day Monday to Sunday is the same to me, I had forgotten that it was Sunday, and both motels were closed. There was nothing there. I made a quick make-shift lunch and pushed on to Upsala, very disappointed.

About 3 km out of Upsala I had had enough. I was freaked out with the shoulder, tired, my DayQuil had worn off, my asthma was acting up, and the wind was getting stronger. I ended up hitching in to Upsala, and then finding the campground was 19 km past Upsala. The nice guys that picked me up drove me to the campsite. The guys were younger and were out camping with friends in Kenora. They had originally passed me and turned around and felt guilty they had passed. Too funny. They also knew the owner of the campground!

I am staying at Savanne River Resort. They are letting me camp for free! I don't know if it's because they recognized those guys, or if dad had talked to him. It is a lovely place with cabins as well. It looks like a popular fishing resort.

I am being COMPLETELY spoiled, and tomorrow my dad is driving out to meet me!!!! He has taken a few days off and is coming out in the Westfalia to follow behind me to make cars slow down around me and protect me when there is a small shoulder. I am so thrilled about this!! I can not wait to see him! And have a place to escape from the bugs! I feel bad because he will have to drive so slow behind me, but I can not wait to have company! And to feel safe on this road again! So tomorrow I will have the day off, and then the next day go on to Thunder Bay!

And don't worry. Tomorrow I'm biking to Upsala and back to make up for the cheated kilometers. They sell ice-cream :)

No comments:

Post a Comment