Thursday, June 7, 2012

Day 30: 96.71 km

June 5, 2012

Winnipeg

Today I ended up sleeping in and I took my time getting ready. It was only 9am and it was so hot!! By the time I had packed up, pumped up my tires, attached my new pump, and cleaned up, it was about 11:30am. I biked towards Winnipeg and stopped for breakfast at Denny's. Then, I biked the perimeter of Winnipeg and was on my way.
I wish it was that simple. Winnipeg was beautiful, but the perimeter was gigantic! It was a 41 km ride from the turn off for the perimeter until the turn off for highway 1! Incredible! The shoulder was very good though which made it better. There is nothing worse than a long, rough shoulder.

After the turn off for highway 1 east I stopped to get a root beer float at A&W. It was perfect. It was such a hot day! My back is so dark compared to my stomach. And just from today I have a sports bra tan line that I can see! I have some of the funniest tan lines already! No to mention a polka dotted back from a terrible job with the spray sunscreen.

Other than that my day was pretty boring! Just biked and biked. I made it to Richer, Manitoba at 6pm and found a nice little campground called Wild Oaks campground. The office was pretty confusing. A family owns it so when you walk into the "office" it is their home with a little side office, but they kind of seemed shocked to see me, like "who is this random walking into our home?" I was a little confused. But after paying, I went to explore the campground and it has a hot tub and pool that are very nicely set up, and a park and a pond. I stayed away from the pond because of the bugs but it's so nice to listen to the birds and frogs outside.
A turtle pond outside of Richer, called Walkers. The store and food place were closed but the turtles were there!

That's about all for today! The trip is beginning to feel a little like getting up for work in the morning. I am no longer sore, and it's the exact same routine for packing and getting ready, much like setting in place a routine for getting ready for work. It's interesting how fast a body can adapt to what it's doing regularly.

Tomorrow I hit Ontario. That is when all of this training from BC until here comes in. Ontario is hilly, kind of like BC, windy, like Saskatchewan and Alberta, and buggy like Manitoba. I have never been to this area of Ontario before so I am pretty excited, but it is daunting to think that I am only 1/3 of the way there, and almost the amount of time that I have already been biking will now be the same as Ontario. It's crazy how large this country is!!

No comments:

Post a Comment