Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Day 37: 134.41 km

June 12, 2012

Savanne River Resort - Thunder Bay

Today was amazing, I don't think I stopped smiling all day!!! Dad had such a long drive from Saskatoon to me, but he made it by 1pm, and I was SO excited to see him! I ran up to his truck as soon as he pulled into the campground! We chatted, ate a bit, and then headed out.

I felt like I was flying!!! We were going so fast! Even on the crappy little shoulder! Dad was behind me with His hazards on and cars were passing safely around me. He had all of my gear, so I felt so light and fast!
 From Dad's view. The tiny shoulder
 
It was so strange biking without the trailer. When I would stop and not hold onto my handle bars I anticipated it to jack knife and take my bike out, but it wasn't there so it never did. It was good to be on a regular bike again. 


To people that are thinking of doing this trip, and have the amazing opportunity to have people follow you in the vehicle, I would definitely suggest it. 
Take the same amount of days that you would if you were holding your own weight (don't rush through it) but that way your days are done earlier and you have a vehicle to go and explore. It is very true that I am seeing the country in ways that not many people have, and that I get to see a lot, but I basically get to see it from the highway. With a vehicle you can go and see a sight that may be 50 km off the highway without putting a whole day into it. Your days can be shorter but full of interesting sights. Not to mention its nice having a place to escape from the bugs. I feel very loved, blessed, and spoiled that my dad is with me again and I don't have the weight on my bike. I'm truly lucky to have the family that I do! (and rumor has it my mom is looking to come up soon too!!!!!! Holy yay!!!) 

Atlantic Watershed:  From here all streams flow South into the Atlantic Ocean

We pulled into the Thunder Bay area at around 7:30pm and went to Kakabecka falls. It was beautiful there! 
  
 

Then we we went to the Terry Fox monument and looked out at the lake and at Sleeping Giant provincial park. I didn't quite see the sleeping giant in it, but it was beautiful.
 
My trip backwards
 
We got set up at the KOA campground and at around 10 pm we went to find dinner. We went to Boston pizza and ate WAY too much, and then came back to go to bed. It ended up being a late night, but that's ok, the day was so perfect I didn't want it to end anyway!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kieren (& the awesome Dad BRUCE)...finally at a computer that I can check the blog...be careful out there! Seeing lots of bikers here in Gerany but it's the cute little 2 yr olds on their bikes that are so adorable - betcha you were a fast kid to learn to bike! Thinking of you often & much - pedal to the metal my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You see what lengths parents will go to - to keep their children safe! I can see the relief on your face Kieren and it looks like happiness, and I can certainly understand.
    What I'd like to know is why does Ontario have so little regard for cyclists?

    ReplyDelete