Friday, June 1, 2012

Day 25: 97.13 km

May 31, 2012

Regina - Wolseley

Today was awesome! I woke up with the full intention to start early because there was supposed to be thunder showers in the afternoon. I woke up at 6am, and was ready to go by 6:45am, but my tent was wet, and the sun was out, so I dried it on the picnic tables. I read my book, sitting on my little orange chair with the sun in my face as they dried. Perfect!!!! I ate all the delicious fruit and bars that Megan had put in the care package. I didn't end up leaving until 8am! But it was so enjoyable!

Then I biked to Indian head by about noon. What a lovely town!!!!
It is where Little Mosque on the Prairie is filmed! I tried to find the mosque, but then I found a bakery instead!
They served food so I went in. Just a little background story, Travis, a good friend from Saskatoon, was going to bike with me for a day when I left Regina. I ended up not being able to tell him my plan until it was too late for him to get it off work. But he had family in Indian Head and offered me their place to stay. So here I am in line at the bakery, and this lady beside me said "Kieren?". I was so confused, in my head thinking, whoa I am talking in third person! Because that made more sense than running into Travis's sister at the bakery for lunch!!!! Tricia, a couple of her coworkers, and I all had lunch together. I had a delicious half sandwich and soup. I was kicking myself after for not getting a whole sandwich, even though I was full, because it was that delicious! Tricia and her coworkers went back to work, and I sat by the window in the sun/shade waiting for this thunderstorm to pass. There were some pretty big grey clouds over the town, but for some reason we would still get sun peaking through and the rain never hit. So after 3 hours of waiting, I decided to keep on going.

Just before I left the bakery, I started chatting with Barbra. Barbra had met a girl biking across Canada 3 years ago going the other way! We were chatting and it turns out that she was originally from Vancouver, and she was on a road trip just traveling when she came to Indian head. She fell absolutely in love with the town and bought a house 2 weeks later!!! I'm telling you, there is something about that town! I could have sat at that bakery window and just watched the happenings of the town all day, and I almost did!!!

I left Indian Head at 3, and biked to Wolseley. If you can saunter on a bike, I sauntered there. Not going to lie, I was singing, and trying to dance, and snacking, and texting, and just enjoying it. I got into Wolseley at 4:50pm and my first stop was ice cream. I saw the storm that was predicted coming towards me. My original plan was to go to Grenfell for the night, but tomorrow the winds are suuupppooosssed to be at my back. Says the weatherman... So I decided with those winds I can make up the 30 km tomorrow and I stayed in Wolseley. I started setting up my tent in the campground and chatted with mom. I realized that the campground didn't have showers, and last night I was having too good of a time to go shower. So I was gross! I asked mom if she could look into a shower opportunity in the town. 5 mins later she called saying that this expensive bed and breakfast was going to give me a HUGE deal on a room for the night!!! So tonight I am at the Banbury house inn, which was Saskatchewan's first European style bed and breakfast. I had a delicious steak dinner here, they have packed me a breakfast for tomorrow, and charged me about as much as a regular dinner for it all!!!!!!! I am so excited and happy to be in a room! And to have a shower! And to have a steak dinner! Today couldn't have been better!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment