Thursday, July 19, 2012

Day 73: St. John's, Newfoundland

July 18, 2012

St. John's

Today it was Elma's turn to fly home. It was so sad to see her go. As she went up the escalator to security she shouted at me, "Be safe!.... And drive safe!!!... And look out for bad boys!!!..." and then she faded away, but I could still hear she was yelling random things. Older sisters, I tell you.

Then, I was alone. Which was sad. But I took full advantage. I bought some breakfast and went back to my room. It's been so amazing to be able to go to the same place every night for the last little bit! I've loved it! I ate my porridge and went back to bed. I was awake, but I forced myself to sleep because I'm going to get myself back into Kimberley's time zone in the next two days so that I am ready for July fest!!!!

I slept until noon, and then watched a movie, and then read my book, and then fell asleep until 5pm. This was the day that I have been waiting for. I was so happy!!!!!! I didn't hear mosquitos buzzing as I slept. I could get up and go to the washroom with ease! I had a big bed, and clothes in the same area! It was so great!!!

At 5:30pm I slowly started getting ready. I decided to meet Lori at the museum for a bit. I changed into new clothes (YAYYY!) and went up to the museum. I didn't find Lori right away but I was satisfied looking at things there at my own pace. It was an incredible museum. It had a giant (dead) squid! I guess the largest have been found around Newfoundland! They had all types of animals, and even native artifacts! They had an exhibit on the Beothuk, a native trip that has become extinct, and drawings from the last known Beothuk who lived with someone in St. Johns! They also had an exhibit on the titanic, and a lot of art.

They had a really nice restaurant. That's where Lori and I met. I had a delicious pasta appie, and then I ran to Sobey's while Lori finished in the museum. Then Lori and I drove around town for a good hour trying to find one of Canada's oldest cemeteries!! We failed.
 
Our view from dinner at the museum

After about an hour of driving Lori and I went to this little pub that had a local band playing. It was so good! All older people there with very strong accents. The singer had an accent too. It was very newfoundlandish. Very good music with an accordian, banjo, and drum. I loved it! What a fun, calm, settling day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment