Thursday, July 5, 2012

Day 59: 74.45 km

July 4, 2012

Norte Dame Du Lac - Saint Leonard

Today I crossed over into New Brunswick in a way I never thought I would.

I woke up this morning to rain. Rain always slows me down in the morning. I am strictly against packing my tent wet. Not only is it bad for the tent, but getting into a wet tent after a wet day sucks! So I put it on fluff in the driers. Except one drier a couple days ago was still so hot on the cool setting it wrecked the mesh of my tent a bit, which I am super upset about. Live and learn I guess. 
Just after 10am I was finally ready to leave. Dry tent, full tummy and all. I hit some pretty decent hills, but knew that in about 20 km it would be New Brunswick so it would be worth it! As I pulled into Delegis I realized I had a flat tire. So, I parked myself in a motel parking lot and fixed it. I have been super worried about my back tire blowing because it's been worn so thin, so I double checked it. It was ok, but it definitely needed to be changed. I took the glass out of the tire, and changed it up. My last tube on me was faulty! I realized this when I put it in and continued on. About 5 minutes later it was close to flat again! I got down on my knees and could hear the air coming out of the spout. Sweet. So I pumped it up and kept riding. I really wanted to make it to the New Brunswick sign and take a picture! I filled the tire 2 more times, and then I heard another pop. I looked at the tire, and it was completely flat again, and this time it was indeed my tire. I pushed it too far! But I was not stopping I needed that picture!!! So I walked my bike and chatted on the phone with dad and Scott. About a km away from the boarder dad suggested that I stop and take my tire off and hitch hike so people know why I am hitching. So, even though I was upset because I wouldn't get a good picture with the sign, I took my tire off and balanced it on my head as I Hitchhiked. Well kind of balanced it. The tire fit into my helmet so I was cheating a little. 

After a little bit no one was stopping. So, still on the phone with dad and Scott, I put my tire back on and continued walking. I got to construction, which narrowed the road and we reassessed. Then, Scott jokingly said "Hey! Your a CAA member, maybe they will come!". We laughed for a bit, but then I was like, I want to try! I called CAA to ask them. Turns out, Quebec is the only province that offers bike support!!! And I was  1 km away from leaving it! Have I mentioned that Quebec is the best province to bike in? I was so excited! I couldn't believe it! They were 45 mins away from me so I sat and made Kraft dinner on the highway as I waited. Just as I finished cleaning up, CAA pulls up! We loaded my bike, and hopped in. We got chatting about the trip, and then as we passed the boarder the driver (I completely forget his name I'm so sorry!) asked if I wanted a picture by the New Brunswick sign. UM YES!!!! I was so happy!!! 
 

CAA dropped me off at the Source for Sports, which was right beside Tim Hortons. It was on the road I had to take out of town too! I changed my tire to an armadillo, which I'm thinking and hoping implies that it is tough, and went and did my Kraft dinner dishes in Tim Hortons. Then, I went and bought a new towel (my old one was terrible) and some groceries, and I was off. I lost a lot of time doing everything, but I'm all set now! 
The USA across the river

I fought a head wind in the evening and was too exhausted to make it to Grand Falls, so I stopped in saint Leonard. I put up my tent and went out for dinner. 

I had a lovey dinner at the motel in town. As I was eating 2 couples came in. Their names were Tony & Virginia, Bill & Judy. They were so funny! I had such a fun dinner chatting with them! I had the pleasure of meeting them on Tony Day, and Tony was so excited! According to Bill it was Tony day yesterday too. So funny! They even paid for my dinner! I felt so lucky to have met them! I had such a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kieren, Wow, can't believe you're so close to the end now!! We've been following your blog and are just amazed at all that you've accomplished. What a wonderful thing you're doing and what a rare opportunity for you and your parents to share this time. It's especially fun to see the pictures of you in Old Quebec and Montreal - I have lots of pictures of your mom and me in the very same spots!
    Take good care of yourself Kieren and enjoy those last miles flying by. We're looking forward to seeing the final picture with your front tire in the water. Talk soon, Deb.

    ReplyDelete