Sunday, July 15, 2012

Day 69: 124.74 km

July 14, 2012

Argentia ferry- St. Johns, Newfoundland

I can not believe this trip is over!!!!! It honestly does not feel like it is. Maybe tomorrow it will when I dip my tire in the ocean, or maybe after a couple days off? But man it doesn't feel like it now.

We woke up to land outside our window this morning. The grand banks of Newfoundland! Mom and I went down for breakfast and then back up to our cabins to pack and get ready for the day. After what felt like forever, we were loading the cars. Then after what felt like another forever sitting inside the cars, we left the ferry. Right when we exited the ferry we saw Lori and Anthony! So we took pictures at the Newfoundland sign, and then mom left with all of our baggage to go to Medel who had been sitting patiently waiting at the airport for a few hours.

Anthony, Lori and I started the day together. After about 5 km we dropped off the highway to Placentia. I filled my water bottles and they ordered some breakfast. I had already eaten, so I left them there because I wanted to get the day done! I was so excited!

Newfoundland was spectacular. And the commercials for it are dry accurate. It was very hilly, and forested. It smelled of a mix of pine, salt and fish. And that's with allergies!! So it must of had a strong sent! Nothing particularly interesting happened while I biked, except that I was on my last day and I was so excited!

I got into St. Johns at 5pm and met mom and Medel at the Tim Hortons in town, and then we went exploring. It was so nice to see 'del!!!!! 
MEDEL! 

We went back to the hostel that we are staying at and I showered and then we went down to the water to take pictures. I am meeting some people tomorrow so I don't dip my bike in until tomorrow, but we went and had a photo shoot. We had a "homeboy" photo where we all made gangster poses. Mom failed. (She actually fell!) We were laughing so hard it was so funny!!!! 
 Gangster poses

After our photo shoot we went to meet Anthony and Lori for dinner. We went to the Celtic Hearth. It was so delicious! We had so much food it was incredible! So much seafood!!!! We all had some beer to celebrate! I had an iceberg beer, which is brewed in Newfoundland and is made with 25000 year old iceberg water. It was actually delicious !

Anthony and Lori were staying at Anthony's friends place, but he was not home yet, so they came to the hostel and showered in our room. Then mom and Medel excitedly ran out and got more iceberg beer and chips and we all sat around and chatted for hours! It was so much fun. Then mom and 'del drove Anthony and Lori home (I got shafted from that excursion) and we all went to bed.

I am so happy that I am here. It still hasn't hit me yet that I am done, but I couldn't have asked to celebrate with better people. I am so happy del, who is like an older brother to me, could come. And tomorrow Elle, who is like my older sister and one of my best friends, is coming out to celebrate as well. And my mom is here! I couldn't be happier!! One of the many things I have learned on this trip is that it's not where you go in life, it's who you are with. I am so happy to have everyone with me!

Tomorrow I dip my bike into the ocean. The trip will be complete. It has been an incredible journey. Then, after that I will still be blogging on my stay in St. Johns. July 20 I will write my trip stats, and be flying home for my jfest welcome home party! I am too excited!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment