Friday, July 13, 2012

Day 67: 88km

July 12, 2012

New Glasgow - Canso Causeway

Today we woke up to an amazing breakfast made by Mary, the owner of Highland Heart Shebby's B&B. We sat down for breakfast and joined another couple, Ron and another Mary. When we introduced ourselves they asked mom if she was from India. She explained that she was born in africa but from India. This is how the next part of the conversation went:
Mary: "our daughter in law is east indian as well"
Mom: "oh what's her name?"
Mary: "Kavita Sethi"
Mom and I: "what?!" 
Mom's maiden name is Sethi! That is my moms name! It was crazy! We decided we were related through that. Then another couple from Germany joined us and we chatted for a good hour. Then mom and I ran out to get back to New Glasgow so I could continue biking where I left off. 

We left our stuff at the bed and breakfast because we wanted to stay another night. Mary, the owner, was so nice! We really enjoyed it!!
 
Once on the highway I went through a lot of construction. Construction can be very dangerous because they literally made the lanes just big enough for cars, and there was a foot drop off into gravel right beside me. When a semi would pass I would have to drop down onto the gravel away from them. Then mom had to drive me over a long, even narrower part with a tiny bridge. But then after that bridge the construction was over and I could go!
 
 
 
 
The wind yesterday was exhausting. It was gusty, and all over the place. One minute I would have a great tail wind, and then all of the sudden I would hit a wall of wind and it would be a head wind. Or cross wind, or no wind. The trees were going crazy in every direction! I don't know if it is because Nova Scotia narrowed and I was surrounded by ocean? Or maybe the highway was high? I'm not sure! But 88 km of that is absolutely exhausting. 
 

We stopped for the day at Canso causeway. Mom really liked the name Canso. Then we drive back to Antigonish for dinner and the night. Mom also went for a run! It was nice!

Mentally, today was tough. I really have to take it 10 km at a time. I feel like its so close to being over that it is tough! It feels like it is over! But tomorrow is the last day in Nova Scotia and then I have the ferry!! Then Newfoundland! It's so crazy!!!!!! Tomorrow I only have until 2:30pm and we have to race to the ferry! I will get as much done as possible!! I'm nervous! 

No comments:

Post a Comment