Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 70: 1 km

July 15, 2012

St. Johns 

Today was incredible! I woke up to mom leaving to pick up Elle, (my sister-from-another-mother) from the airport. Then, I woke up to her being there and crawling into bed with me. She had the red eye flight and had almost no sleep, so we wanted to nap and sleep in. But we ended up chatting the whole time! Then mom and 'del came back (Elle and Medel are brother and sister) and we all got ready to go because we were meeting some people from the Prostate Cancer Canada group and the Cancer Society of Newfoundland and Labrador so I could dip my tire in. Elle asked if I had a blow dryer... No, I didn't carry a blow dryer with me from Vancouver ahha. But she had to check. 
 
It was a hassle to leave because we couldn't open the basement door where my bike was, but once we got it out we went down to the spot that Darrell found to dip my tire in! On the side of the harbor that we were staying on it was too dangerous, and other than that it was all cliffs! So it took a bit to find a place. Thank you Darrell!

I biked down to dip my tire, and everyone was there. Tia and Maria from the cancer society, Darrell and his wife from Prostate Cancer Canada, Elle, 'del, and mom. It was so nice!!!! I climbed over the rocks and dipped my tire in! Now it felt more so like the trip was done. It felt good! 
 
 
 
 

As we were dipping my tire in, a car drove by and asked about my trip. We think he was the harbor director? Anyway he said to be here to listen for horns at 12:30pm, and that was dedicated to me for my trip! So, at 12:30pm the most beautiful symphony of horns went off!!! Every single ship in the harbor was honking! 5 minutes of symphony! It was incredible. 

After that I hopped in the car with Elle and Maria and we drive up to the cancer society's daffodil place. They had a surprise for me! A party! A few people from the Cancer Society and Prostate Cancer Canada were there. 
 

But the bigger surprise yet? Everyone in Saskatoon skyped us!! It was amazing!!!! I was awestruck I didn't know what to say! It was amazing! Then, when Maggie, my cousin who had been traveling the world for a year came on to say a few words, I started bawling. It was incredible to see my WHOLE family and tons of friends there to support me. Even my dad, who was working (he is a firefighter) got the ok to drive down in the fire truck to the hospital where they had gotten a place to put the projector up and Skype. 

Thank you to everyone for being there and thank you Anjie Musi and dad for setting it up! And the St. Paul's hospital for lending us a room and projector to do it! Buuuut, I would like it to be known that I wasn't the only one crying. Mom and Maria were too! It was such an emotional moment. And I can't even do anything when I cry! It's not like it's a nice, tear rolling down my cheek as I smile kind of cry. No, mine is a complete blubber. So I just sat there and cried. 

After my emotional Skype and a bit of a gift opening (thank you Darrel and Patty, Nuni and Sujata Musi!), we wrapped up the party and left. It was so emotionally exhausting, so Elle and I went to snooze and mom and 'del went to have some beers and snacks. Trust me. The day your mom tells you you don't know how to party is one sad day!

After our lovely nap, we got all ready to go, and went for dinner. We went to Velmas (which we renamed Elma's) for some traditional Newfoundland food. We had a ton of fish, and cod tongues! It was delicious! Then we all went to Christians bar to check out where we would get "screeched"! We then went and played pool until 10pm, I bought a dog, and then we went back to Christians to sign up! 
 Cod tongues

 
George St.

Getting screeched is becoming an honorary Newfie. I'm officially a Newfie, certificate and everything! After waiting around a bit, this guy in a rain outfit came out with a paddle and we were all singing and screaming Newfie songs. Then we had to eat bologna, drink, and kiss a cod. Yes! I kissed a fish! I'm terrified of fish but I did it! It was so much fun!! Then he asked if we had been screeched we had to say "indeed I is, me 'ole cock! And long my your big jib draw!" or, moms way, "indeed ye is me big cock!" Hahahah it was too funny!!!
 
 
I was excited
 Bologna!
A shot of screech!
 Kissing a cod fish
 Being dubbed "screeched"


Then we went back to the hostel and went to bed. Elle, mom and I were all in the same bed. We laughed for so long. Then we all passed out. Good day!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Kieren:

    CONGRATULATIONS! YOUR GRANDPA WAS RIGHT. Kieren can do whatever she sets her mind to.

    What an amazing story your blog has been. The struggles that you endured and the obstacles you overcame present a true picture of courage and persistence.

    I have two grandkids visiting (aged 5 & 7) and they are tiring me out. I can’t imagine doing what you’ve done. I have to tell you that I feel proud to know you and to have had that connection through the college and the PC support group. For all of us who have been struck by prostate cancer, I say “Thank you.” Spreading awareness about this cancer and doing whatever we can to get more men to catch it in time is such a worthwhile cause.

    AND the kicker is that you actually got to see this great country of ours – from Pacific to Atlantic. It was especially gratifying to see that you were screeched in at St. John’s. Every Canadian should have that experience.

    I assume that you are heading back to Saskatoon as I write this - - for a well-earned rest. I look forward to seeing you again at COTR.

    And A.E. Housman wraps up his poem with:

    ‘Is my friend hearty,
    Now I am thin and pine,
    And has he found to sleep in
    A better bed than mine?’

    Yes, lad, I lie easy,
    I lie as lads would choose;
    I cheer a dead man’s sweetheart,
    Never ask me whose.

    Kevin Higgins
    PCCN - Cranbrook

    ReplyDelete
  2. July 17, 2012.
    First of all I would like to congratulate you on your amazing accomplishment. I meet your Mother on Sunday afternoon the 15th of July in St.John's @ the Gypsy Tea Room court yard. It was a beautiful day, we were having "a social drink"(tower of beer). Your mom sat beside us, took pictures and told us about your cross Canada biking experience. Amazing task.
    Congratulations.

    Terry Hearty
    St.John's, NL.
    terrymhearty@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete