Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 57: 104.78 km

July 2, 2012

Montmagny - Saint André

This morning I woke up a little later than I hoped, but it worked out perfectly because I got to chat again with Carol my neighbour! I learned that Quebec had laws for cyclists and vehicles. Vehicles had to pass 3 meters away from a cyclist, or stop behind them and wait to pass. No wonder so many people bike here!!! It's bikers paradise! 

As I left the campground I was offered coffee by a few campers. It was such a friendly place. Then I headed into Montmagny for breakfast. My usual at Tim Hortons. I was so proud because yesterday was probably my first day in this trip without a treat all day! Even through Quebec city! Not one chocolate bar or icecream! Pretty dang impressive... So I get two today. 

I biked along the river all day, passing many beautiful towns with amazing churches.
 St. Laurent
Then, in Saint-Jean-Port-Joli I was starving. All I saw were art shops, and I ran into a tour group! They knew of a great place to eat and invited me along. Lunch was delicious! We ate at a pita place and I got to chat with Peter and the americans. Peter is the tour guide with East Wind Cycle in New Brunswick, and they also do tours in Mexico! He was guiding a lovely group of two couples through Quebec by bike. I had a great lunch chatting with them, and getting great route advice from Peter, which was much needed! Now I feel ready for New Brunswick! 

After lunch we parted ways and I went and got icecream. Of course. Then Peter showed up again! His group was touring a church 5 minutes away and he had a feeling that I would be chowing down on some icecream. Then we biked and caught up with his group, and I looked in the church. Absolutely beautiful!! It was surprisingly colorful too!
 
Then we were all off in our separate directions. It was so nice to meet them! I hope they have a fantastic trip! 

Then, as I was told, I biked through a few amazingly beautiful towns. Kamouraska was stunning!
 

I followed a biker to a restaurant and stayed to eat. The language barrier got the better of me this time and I asked for pasta and I got a whole dinner shindig. Starting with cold soup, then that pasta that is a giant tunnel? I'm not sure the name, but I only got two with a ton of cheese, and then creme brûlée. The creme brûlée was delish, but I was full! Then I google mapped directions to my campground for the night. 

Google maps failed me. Badly. When I google map directions I have to use the maps for walking directions. If I don't, it takes me on highways I am not allowed on. These directions were terrible.
 Getting lost...

Mom had other ones but of course I fought to follow google so I knew how many kilometers to go. Mothers are always right. It sucks. All of the sudden I'm climbing big hills on a dirt road in the middle of no where.
 very lost...

I was so lost, the sun was setting, and I was terrified. The houses reminded me of houses in the chain saw massacre. I looked at my phone and I was going in and out of service, and my phone was dying. Great.
 
I finally reached mom to chat. I needed to hear someone's voice. I was so scared. Then I pass this sign "Le Pavillion Vert: Gîte" while I was freaked out on the phone with mom. Turns out it was a B&B! I ended up staying in a lovely suite and ate kraft dinner and watched House in English!!! It ended up being a great night!!!
    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment