Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May 1, 2012

I have to practice blogging from my phone, sooo I will tell you all about my training day today. It was a crazy day! I picked up my bike in Cranbrook (thanks boys at Favorit cycles its all tuned up and ready to go!) and I may have only biked about 10 minutes with my panniers (bike bags that go on racks which make the bags straddle the tires of your bike) on when I went over a bump and my front pannier broke! I leave in 5 days and now I'm one pannier short! These panniers were said to be the "best kind money can buy"... Yah right, it broke the first day I used it! So I bike back to Favorit cycles and they said they would try and glue the plastic attachment back together. Then, I finish my errands and I realize as I start my bike trip home that I had forgotten my full water bottle on the counter at home! But fear not, for I have jam packed my panniers with a bunch of random stuff so i can train with weight, that I had an empty water bottle! So I stop at Napa Auto parts and they let me use their culligan to fill it up. I had not yet put my water bottle holders on my bike, so I locked the water bottle to my rear pannier rack so that the nozzle of the water bottle pointed away from me. After about 30 minutes of biking I stop and go to have a drink. MY WATER BOTTLE NOZZLE WAS OPEN!!! My bike had been trailing all the water behind me as I went! So, dehydrated and starving (I had forgotten about lunch in all the chaos) I put my foot on the peddle to keep on going. What happens? My chain fell off. I just sat down on the pavement and thought "who's idea what's this!!!! I'm honestly a crazy person!!!" but then I got up, fixed the chain, and then biked home. What a day. The quote I will always remember when things are tough, or are not going quite as planned for this trip is "there is always moments when I want to turn back but I have to remind myself that I had chosen to be there and the rewards would far exceed my pain. I know that within all of us there is the ability to do something extraordinary" by Ray Zahab, an adventurist who quoted this after his trek across the frozen Syberia. I cannot wait for this crazy, amazing, emotional, tiring, life changing trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment