Monday, May 21, 2012

Day 15: 0 km

May 21, 2012

Calgary

No biking today except meeting mom and dad for breakfast! YAY! Such a needed first full day off!!! This morning I met mom and dad for a quick and delicious breakfast, and I got my bike fixed. Greg from the Bike Doctor in Saskatoon had noticed that my smallest gear in the front was bent because of all of the shenanigans that had happened previously. He fixed it by hand the best he could, and then we took it to a bike shop in Calgary. They were quite impressed with the hand straightening, but we decided to get new gears all together. We bought better gears so hopefully it will be a much smoother ride from now on.

Today I had to say good bye to mom and dad after stopping at MEC. I was so upset. I really do feel alone as of now. Even though Matt and I will be rejoining tomorrow, it doesnt feel the same (sorry matt!!!!!). I am going to miss dad so much, and I already do. He was my rock through this bike trip. I am very scared now without him.

Other than saying goodbye to mom and dad, nothing much happened today except I got to catch up with Kayla. Which is always the best thing ever. We honestly dont stop laughing. We were trying to steal toilet paper today from the Spagetti Factory because Kayla was out and she is leaving tomorrow. But they locked their toilet paper roll holders. Obviously we arnt the first people who have tried to steal toilet paper. TP is important! I miss her every day. Even when she cuts me off after one virgin Caesar...

Tomorrow will be the start of my "next" journey. Here I come Saskatchewan!!! Oh... boy....

6 comments:

  1. Hey Kieren,

    I have been marveling at your courage and tenacity these last weeks. Reading your blog and texting Bruce has me thinking of your adventure daily. I love your writing-very honest and inspiring. I will see you soon back in Saskatoon, ride safe and enjoy the view from your bike. Oh and how will I ever stay up with Bruce on the bike now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Scott, thanks for writing. If you are planning to ride a bit with Kieren, on Sunday she should be riding between Moose Jaw and Regina, wind permitting. I am flying back to Vancouver to pick up the car we used to get to the start point. I will be catching up to Kieren around Regina, so I could give you a lift back to S'toon. I'll text you as well. Again, thanks for writing to kieren. It really encourages her to carry on. I used to think riding from Calgary to Vancouver was quite a distance. Not anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kieren,
    I'm going to try posting something again, and see if I can do it! I would like to encourage you on your bike ride! You are an inspiration to young & old alike! I can hardly wait to meet you on Tuesday & have some of your grandma's samosa's.
    YOUR ARE AN AMAZING GIRL! You CAN do it!
    Frances Wagner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning Kieren! I hear you off you Moose Jaw this morning! I think the wind will be at your back, and the sunhine on your face, at least for the next few days! Have fun! Be SAFE!
    Frances Wagner

    ReplyDelete