Friday, May 18, 2012

Day 11: 79 km

May 17, 2012

Rogers pass-Golden

Today we woke up expecting it to have snowed all night. We were ready for terrible conditions, and yet we opened the curtains to sun! It was beautiful out! 

On the first day i had talked about how i was fighting my brakes and Matt fixed them. Well Matt had fixed them when all my bags were off. Today dad and I realized that it was my handlebar bag pressing my brake cable in, so my brakes were on whenever my handle bar bag was on! Man! I don't seem to have much luck with these things. We got all ready to go and coasted down towards Golden. There were a few slide tunnels we had to go through. One was so dark I couldn't see anything. I could only look at the light on the other end and hope not to hit some pot hole or rock. 

We coasted down hill and then came to another climb called Heathers Hill. It was a grind on the way up. I got really hot so I stopped to put my jacket away and dad stopped just a little ahead of me. Then while I was putting my jacket in my pannier, a black bear ran across the road 30 to 40 ft in front of Dad! Of course I missed it. We got a picture of its footprints. Then about an hour down the road we saw another one on the other side of the highway! And I got to see it! I love bears. They are so awkward and rollie, but yet can run 30 miles an hour and have so much power! Such incredible animals. 

Dad and I stopped about 35 km into Golden and decided to make porridge. It was delicious! And such a beautiful area. Then we noticed a HUGE rain cloud coming in. We packed up And raced the cloud into Golden. The winds from the cloud were pushing us into town. We were flying! It was incredible! 

After a bit of a discussion (and realizing Matt was in BANFF already, and we now refer to him as the energizer bunny), dad and I decided to stay in Golden and do the last pass tomorrow. I'm not excited for that. It's going to be one long haul. But then the passes are done!!!! Alberta bound!

No comments:

Post a Comment