Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day 4: 92.99 Km

May 10, 2012

 Mid Coquihalla Pass-Merritt

 This morning we woke up to sleety snow sliding off our tents. Pretty cold but definitly perfect weather for bundling up and having cozy camping! We got out of our tents, made breakfast, and slowly got ready to go. I repacked my bags so my front packs were even lighter, which really helped with the downhills. I went and did the dishes in the creek and pumped some water and then we left at around 10 am.

 Straight from our campground it was a climb. Just a long constant grind. We stopped a quite a few times at chain ups and rest areas. It was snowing the whole way up which was much better than rain, and the wind was still at our back. Then we got to a rest stop that told us the next 5 km was very steep. Great. I was so exhausted. I was going 5km an hour. When the steep grade came I had to take a break every .5 km. we were lucky because the 3 lane highway was closed down to one lane for construction even though there was no construction going then, so we had room. When a bike is going slow up hill it is very hard to go straight. My front wheel was constantly turning so we were very lucky. As I was going up the steep part, the yellow construction vehicle with the lighted arrow on it drove by and offered me a ride. God I wanted to say yes! But I couldn't cheat. I kept chugging. Even when dad dumped his weight and came to get my bags I wouldn't let him. I was biking the whole way up. It took 10 mins to go 1 km! Each minute felt like an hour! It dragged on and on.

 Summitting was the BEST feeling ever. 12 km up from where we camped was the summit. It took 2 hours for that 12 km. the summit has a nice little rest area with a table to eat at and a bench, both inside. Which was good because it was about -10 outside plus windchill. Crazy cold. After the summit it was downhill to Britton Creek Rest Area. It seemed to call our name so we went to check it out. A couple there asked about our trip and gave a donation! Then, we went the rest of the way (about 70 more km) to Merritt. The road constantly rolled. Each hill was about 4 km up and 4 km down. I could tell I was more confident after summitting. I went downhill faster and dad even said I was biking uphill faster and they waited less for me. I think it was to encourage me haha.

 Once in Merritt, we went to find our hotel. As we were looking a man came up to Matt and I saying we were welcome to stay at his place. Dad and I ended up staying at the best western (hot tub and laundry? Umm yah!!!) and Matt is camping in his yard. So nice of him! And it's so close to dad And my hotel! Perfect! We got ready, and went to Boston Pizza for a long awaited spagetti meal! Then I rushed back via cab to catch the hot tub in time. Perfect night after such a tough day! I honestly feel like I can now do ANYTHING. I just climbed up 4081 ft! It was by far the most physically demanding thing I have ever done, and I didn't even walk my bike! I am so happy laying in bed right now. I finally feel like this trip is doable and not so overwhelming. I got this! But I am exhausted!!! Catch you up tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment