Monday, May 14, 2012

Day 8: 51.4 km

May 14, 2012

Vernon- Vernon

Today was a bust, but SO MUCH FUN! We stayed at Kelly and Richards last night, and didn't end up leaving until 11:30. Matt had already powered past heading to Sicamous (he stayed another night in Kelowna and passed us before we even left town!) so we were just cruising along again. Today we were only planning to do about 75 km, another light day for my knee. We went to Olympia, a bike shop owned by a friend of Richards, at about 12, and they properly measured me to my bike. Even though I got kind of measured in Kelowna, these guys had the real gear to measure me up. They were using lasers and everything! Crazy!! I don't know anything really about bikes, except the basics, so this really helped. If I would have known that I needed to be fitted to a bike when I started I would have never set things up myself! Dad also got his de-railer fixed, and we bought Steve (see pictures for Day 8) which has been possibly the best buy yet.

We left the bike shop at about 3, and started towards Sicamous. Close to Enderby there is this awesome place called the Log Barn. It has souvenirs, fruit, candy, ice-cream, slushies, and pretty much anything you could ever want in life. Dad and I bought a big thing of blueberries, slushies and ice-cream. It was another hot day (about 30 degrees again) but there was no wind, so it was constantly hot! This break was well worth it. At this place they have goats that you can feed! The goats have this climbing apparatus to climb onto the entry way sign. You can buy feed for 25 cents and put it into this cup at the bottom of the entry way sign, and the goats will pull this cup up by rope! It was so funny! He would use his hoof to turn the wheel that would bring the cup up and pour it into his mouth! Then I fed the goats by hand. I was so nervous they would bite me! I've never really liked goats, but they are pretty funny.

As we were leaving the Log Barn (a must see) Dads trailer bent his new back de-railer. So he could only really use his front gears. So it was slow going towards Sicamous. We stopped and got one of the best slushies ever (just a regular coke one, but much appreciated with the heat), and dad tried to fix his de-railer again. Then, when we continued on, Dad switched a back gear and his back de-railer (the one that was bent) wrapped completely around his gears!!! It was crazy to see! Dad had to take the de-railer off, bend things back (spokes were bent and the whole bit) and then he would have only had one gear to use! So through a chain of friends that I played volleyball with at the College, I was able to find a girlfriends new number, and call her. Steph and her dad came to our rescue. They picked us up, and drove us back to Richard and Kelly's. So now its kind of like the day never happened! But now we have stopped at the Log Barn, and other than figuring out Dads bike situation tomorrow, we can cruise and hopefully make it past Sicamous tomorrow. Fingers are crossed that we make back a little more time!

No comments:

Post a Comment