Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Day 1: 89.79km

May 7,2012

Vancouver (Stanley Park)- Fort Langley

 I am crazy! Holy that was a long day! We woke up this am, and went to have breakfast with my uncle Brian. We ended up grabbing last minute things, like my pannier part and forgotten headphones until about 11:00 am. Then we went and parked the car at the airport so that dad could fly right back to it from Calgary. After putting our bikes and everything together we were off (about 12:30 pm). First thing we come to? A giant over pass. I'm struggling up this, and I look up, and dad had to have been 50 meters ahead of me just motoring along! I swear these boys must have hidden motors on their bikes, because the majority of my day was about 50 meters behind them! It was good, I gotta catch up. I feel terrible when they wait for me, but then I get up to them and then they go, so I guess it makes up for it in that sense. They get a quick breather and as soon as I get there we continue. But that's good it will get me stronger!

Today we toured around west Vancouver a bit. Went into Stanley park, had a hot dog from a really friendly hotdog stand guy, and then tried to stick on the transcanada trail out of Vancouver. I LOVE Vancouver! It's beautiful, the people are nice, it's full of life! But getting out of it is difficult. We got a little lost. The the highways were under construction so we made up a route. Both mine and my dads phones, or "maps" died, and so we were following randoms who graciously showed us the way. I was starving, cold, and wanted my bed!

By some miracle we made it to Fort Langley at 9:30 at night. We ate at a cafe, and found our way to an awesome little campground with showers!!!! We set up our tents, had a shower, and may have to fight some raccoons during the night. We will see. I hope that soon I will be able to fully keep up with these guys! But at the moment I can hardly walk! My legs are dead! It is so amazing to have my dad with me at the beginning of this adventure. Words cannot even express how thankful I am that he is here. I don't even think I would have made it today without him. He is Definately a blessing! I can't figure out how to put pictures on tonight but I will as soon as possible! I'm pooped. I hope that my legs aren't too dead for tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Horray Brittons! Great to have the blog to catch up on your progress - thanks! Here's an Irish blessing that I thought says it well -

    May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face.

    Maryann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maryann! That is the perfect blessing!! Sorry for all of the mistakes! Last night I was so exhausted I wasnt even making sentences!!

      Delete