Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Day 2: 73.7 km

May 8,2012
Fort Langly- Harrison hot springs (almost).

Wow I can see that I was tired yesterday when I wrote that entry! So many mistakes! Today I woke up to beautiful sun. Dad had went to the cafe already, and I was up when he left, but I didn't want to move yet so I kind of hid out in my tent. Then, I heard Matt up, so I thought I should probably get up. It was so beautiful this morning. The warm sun on was on my back as I wrote in my journal. Matt and Dad fixed my bike this morning. Turns out I was fighting my brakes all day, because they were too tight to the rim of my tire. Not only that, but my tires were at 40 PSI when they should be at 85 PSI! Fixing that was a huge help, but I still am far behind Matt and Dad up hills!

We went to the same cafe that we had dinner at the night before for breakfast. As we left it started getting cloudy. The ferry we had planned to take across the river was closed so we had to make up a new path. As we were trying to find our way along the transcanada trail Dad was playing leapfrog with us, sprinting ahead to take photos and then we would pass, and he would sprint ahead again. It was pretty funny. The map online for the TransCanada Trail is terrible. We got pretty lost. A lot of today was spent looking at maps. The website for TransCanada Trail abandoned us on this main road for a long time. This main road thoroughly terrified me. There was no shoulder, the lane was barely big enough for a pickup truck, but delivery trucks and dump trucks were ripping around on that road! The whole road was a double yellow center line because it was super curvy and up and down super steep short hills. There were so many almost accidents when people passed around us. The cars would rip by us about a foot or two away. It got to the point that dad was trying to think of the nearest hospital, and, being Bruce, made me go first to protect me, though I wanted to do the same to protect him. Which led to a discussion of who should get hurt first. And I thought I was stubborn. Now I know where I got that from.

Finally, we got off that road back onto the trail in the woods. That took us to Mission, an we stopped at mr mikes for dinner. I got a free Caesar because I asked for a virgin ceasar but she accidently put alcohol in it. Booyah. Free drink. I needed it! After mr mikes I didn't want to move. A 30 km day felt pathetic but after getting spooked I didn't want to go on a main highway and I was so so so tired. My legs were actually stuck. My muscles were so tight that they Wernt moving at all. But we got on the bikes and pushed. I am so proud that I got here. We pushed almost 50 km down the road to koffee kettle motel. We are super close to the Harrison hot springs for a morning soak! I realized a lot in that little push.

 It was the first time I just got to think about things other than finding our way and surviving traffic. I realized that I have been struggling and searching for what I want and who I want to be. This is my fresh beginning in life. This will be the most difficult thing I will do. It will, and already has begun to, show me who I am. I am very excited. Well, right now I'm tired, but I am very excited. But yes. There are Definately moments where I am struggling, exhausted, frustrated with my bike, or embarrassed that I'm not as fast as the guys. There are Definitely moments I want to quit, and when I'm on the easiest possible gear an it still feels like I'm putting all my weight into every peddle, and I struggle knowing I have the pass to look forward to, but every night, and morning, it's amazing to see where I started and where I am.

2 comments:

  1. Kieren: I just looked at your blog and I am very excited for you. This is going to be an incredible journey -- One that will build character as it tears at your body. Remember that you are starting this trip at the hardest part of the whole country. Dream for those lovely days ahead when the prairie winds will lift you up and carry you far.
    Take strength in those who are peddling with you and in the memory of your Grandfather

    Wake: The silver dusk returning
    Up the beach of darkness brims
    And the ship of sunrise burning
    Strands upon the eastern rims
    a.e. housman

    GO KIEREN GO!

    Kevin Higgins
    PCCN Cranbrook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kevin! Yes it is super exciting! Thank you so much for your support through all of this! Say hi to the club for me!

      Delete