Friday, May 25, 2012

Day 18: 104.94 km

May 25, 2012

Medicine Hat - Eagle Valley Park Campground

Today was interesting. I woke up this morning to rain. Matt and I texted back and fourth debating whether or not to bike today. I really had to pee, so we decided to go cause I would have to brave the rain at that moment anyway. We packed up, and went to ABC for breakfast.
The wind was a bit against us for the ride today. It was only 20 km/hour but it was surprising how much of a difference it made! I was averaging 15-19 km/hour instead of 30-40! I lost Matt right out of Medicine Hat, but we texted agreeing to meet at Eagle Valley Campground to make dinner, and then keep on going.

There was this 5 km stretch where you could test your odometer. I found out that mine was EXACTLY right!!! It was the most exciting 5 km stretch ever. I would get so excited coming up to a check sign. Its the little things that matter most right Maryann?

I passed the boarder into Saskatchewan, and I met a girl Annie, at the Saskatchewan sign.

She took a picture of me at the sign, and then my phone died! Now it won't charge or anything! I am glad it happened now, because I am going to Saskatoon on Sunday for a couple days and I can get that sorted out. It is weird to bike without music, or knowing the time, or being able to talk to people. Of course that didn't stop me, Annie (who is also biking across Canada) and I chatted the whole way.

I got to the campground and Matt was no where to be found. The lady at the campground said he continued on and was thinking about going to Maple Creek. Now that I don't have a cell, I feel like I may have lost him for good. I biked from the campground 3 km to the visitor center to use the payphone because the lady and I couldn't figure out how to use a collect call. Turns out no one was home. I got to the payphone and called mom. I have never been so relieved. I felt like it was going to be ok. It's incredible how attached to technology I am. Then I went across the street to the gas station, loaded up on a bit of junk food, went back to the campground, had a lovely shower, ate dinner, and went to bed. It was weird to bike west, back to the campground.

Eagle Valley Campground is an awesome little campground. They have a Carribean theme, and have a of ton little trees, which are perfect to block wind but they let lots of sun in. There are so many birds! They were constantly singing. Quite a nice place.

The prairies have actually almost been harder than the mountains. In the mountains I had dad, and there was a town pretty much every night. The passes were easy to research and we could see a profile of the gradients so I knew what was coming. The prairies is different, I don't expect hills so I don't like it when they come. And I hate not knowing things. One of my biggest pet peeves is not knowing the full truth or information about something. Its more than a pet peeve, its an absolute hate. I hate it if people tell me half truths, or if I am not fully prepared for something. With the wind I have exactly that. I have no idea what the wind is going to do. I like knowing and mentally preparing for things, but then when the wind is in your face fighting you and you can't prepare for it, it is hard. It is honestly like constantly fighting up hill. It is incredible.

Looks like Day 19 will be good though! Hope I can post soon!

1 comment:

  1. Ha, that's true; the wind can be relentless. You can't see the end of it coming, like you can a hill. The wind will teach you things though. One thing it will teach you is the value of persistance. When you settle into your task, and accept, even embrace, any unavoidable resistance you meet, you slowly, inevitably, make progress. You flow through the wind. You acknowledge it and respect it, but you become persistant and tireless (and sometimes times smart enough to wait it out). Anouther thing the wind teaches you is to adapt to changing conditions. To change your short term goals to the short term conditions. The wind will punish you today and tomorrow, but favor you the next day. This is a valuable, life-long lesson. Hope you have a good meal and sleep tonight. Big day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete