Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day 12: 88.28 km

May 18, 2012

Golden- Lake Louise

Today was a good day. Tough, but good. It feels like my footsteps are lighter. There is a saying "you can't grasp tomorrow if your hands are full of yesterday's junk" that is so true. I got rid of yesterday's junk today in many ways! I feel more confident on my bike already, my knees felt decently good today even through the pass. I needed the occasional stop but it was better than before for sure. But most importantly, I AM NOW IN ALBERTA! It's so exciting to be moving on! One notch on the belt for sure. A big notch! It feels great to have all the passes behind me, and all the junk. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE BC. More than anywhere. But I'm not a fan of it on bike... At least this kind of bike. It's good to be done it. 9 more provinces to go.

This morning we woke up to a beautiful blue sky in Golden. Because it was so clear, it was freezing cold. There was frost on everything. I didn't get the best of sleep the night before because of the cold, but I can catch up on that in Alberta!

We ate at Smittys and then began our all day climb up to Lake Louise. Quite the climb. It was warm in the beginning. I rolled up my long sleeve shirt to let in some cool air. I looked down, and my skin was blistering!!!! I must have burned it last night on the stove and not noticed! Crazy! And so gross!

We climbed and climbed and climbed. Then, 60 km down the highway we got to Field. I loved it there. When we biked through it seemed like a ghost town. There were old houses and in front of the old houses were plaques with information on who lived there and neat little facts. Then we went to the cafe for a late lunch and some warm soup. The cafe was a general store! It had every little knickknack you could think of. I really wanted a bracelet but controlled myself, cause I bought one in Golden! We got our delicious soup, and all the sudden it was bustling! There were so many young people in the store to grab things for the long weekend! One guy was talking about my trip to my dad and came running up to me and shook my hand and wished me luck, it was nice.

Then off we went to summit the pass. It was pretty good, as far as passes go, but very cold. It started to snow on us a bit. I was quite chilled, especially going down hill.

Tonight we are at the hostel in Lake Louise. It's a really nice hostel, with a lot of bikers here! Matt is in Calgary tonight already. Can't wait for Canmore and Banff, two of my favorite towns!

No comments:

Post a Comment